PDA

View Full Version : Biposto to mono conversion question



Apostate
02-21-2005, 09:19 AM
So I've got a 748 biposto that I'm converting to a mono. I'm keeping the biposto subframe. Bought a tail and seat on eBay and knew there'd be some trickiness with the bracketry but figgered I could scavange what I needed from the biposto tail.

I'm looking for some tips/guidelines regarding the tail light bracket and latch bracket. It would be great if I could get some tips from anyone who's already done this conversion or if anyone with a monoposto could snap some digital piccies of the underneath of the tail, specifically those brackets.

Thanks in advance!

Dave R
02-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Hey Tim, Jon usualy has a parts list of misc spacers and brackets that it takes to make the conversion. Maybe give him a call on TUesday if you don't figure something else out by then.

Apostate
02-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey Tim, Jon usualy has a parts list of misc spacers and brackets that it takes to make the conversion. Maybe give him a call on TUesday if you don't figure something else out by then.
Will do...thanks, Dave!

Teckhardt
02-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a 748 biposto that has been converted to mono, well its actully bi - I have both seats and can switch them out by just unclipping one wire and pulling two pins.

My bike is in Woodinville, you are welcome to come and look at the set up if you want.

I also have the 748 parts catalog in a PDF if you want me to email it.

Mental998
02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
....but figgered I could scavange what I needed from the biposto tail.

I've done this before and you can do it using the bip parts.

The difference is in the tail light bracket. The pins that the tail light assembly presses onto are spot welded. I ground off the spot welds so I could relocate those pins.
The bitch is... I can’t remember exactly where and why the pins needed to be moved and I don’t have the bip parts any more to look at.

Here’s a mono tail.

http://images.snapfish.com/342%3C269923232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B36%3D8%3 A5%3DXROQDF%3E23237837663%3A6ot1lsi

Can you post pics of the bracket you have?

Apostate
02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
I've done this before and you can do it using the bip parts.

The difference is in the tail light bracket. The pins that the tail light assembly presses onto are spot welded. I ground off the spot welds so I could relocate those pins.
The bitch is... I can’t remember exactly where and why the pins needed to be moved and I don’t have the bip parts any more to look at.

Can you post pics of the bracket you have?
Thanks, Layne! I think I've got it fingered out. Looks like I'll need new (longer) fasteners that attach the latch bracket (the one with the rubber stops) as well as spacers for that same location. I think I can reuse the rest of the parts. Fortunately I'm not far from the good guys at DucSea so I can run to them for the few things I may need.

When I get home tonight I'll try to remember to snap a few shots of the bip bracket and post them to jog your memory about the pins.

foggy123
02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Apostate-
A friend of mine is looking into doing the same thing so if you could keep the list of parts needed I'd appreciate it. Thx.

Apostate
02-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Sure, no problem!

Also, here's a link I found. It has the full list of parts needed. The parts for my project should be much smaller as I don't plan on having both a complete biposto and monoposto tail.

http://www.gastric.com/toys/ducatibip2mono.htm#1

Apostate
02-25-2005, 07:25 PM
So, I was in to DucSea this morning to have the first service done on my ST4s and talked to Jon about the conversion. Picked up a couple of longer fasteners (P/N 77950091A) and a couple of spacers (P/N 71311091A) and that was all I needed. Oh, and a pair of those foam bumpers (P/N 86610231A and 86610241A), since they were missing from the mono fairing I bought. The rest of the parts I scavaged from the bip tail. I did, however, have to modify the trapezoidal tail light bracket. Jon mentioned that on some model year monos the bracket was flat and on others it was bent, like what was on my bip. I took a chance that I could re-use the bent-up one from my bip. I was wrong about it being a straight over swap, but the solution was as simple as a hammer and a concrete floor. :D Now I have a flat bracket.

I'm attaching a picture of the completed installation showing the flat trapezoidal bracket, the latch (new spacers underneath) and part of the tail light assembly.