PDA

View Full Version : Track Days - Insurance Coverage???

flyingducman
03-05-2005, 10:44 AM
In reviewing my Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Policy, prior to signing-up for a few NESBA trach-days, the following "Exclusion" was found in my policy. It looks pretty standard...

5. bodily injury or property damage resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest, stunting activity OR IN PRACTICE OR PREPARATION FOR ANY SUCH CONTEST OR ACTIVITY;

I intend to participate in a number of track-days this season and don't want to be left out-to-dry if I go down. The loss could be huge. :scared10:

Anybody understand how this "exclusion" would, or wouldn't apply to track-day participation???

kneedragger
03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
You have brought up a very valid and often misunderstoon subject. As the owner of Adrenaline Freaks Track Days I would like to offer this to you and everyone that has ever had this question...

No insurance company is going to cover you if you are a racer or if your bike has race bodywork with number plates on it. Also, if you ever go down, they may or may not cover you...here's why.. I have had a few customers make claims some have had success, some haven't. Some insurance have caught on to the "track day" wording and are now putting it on their disclaimers. For example, AF is not a race school, nor are we a race organization. We don't use timing equipment and we don't have the ability to give you a race certificate or license at the end of the day, we are a track day organization that allows you to go out and see what your bike can do. Thats it, plain and simple.

Yes, crashing sucks big time, trust me I know first hand! :D :eek: :D But you can't go on thinking about the what ifs. If you are that afraid of wadding your bike up, invest some money on a bike that you will not cry over if you ever have the misfortune of wadding up in t-2 or any other are of any track. My philosophy is this, if you have a bike that is high performance, why have it if you are only going to ride it at 15%-40% of its riding capability. There are times that you may crash and it was totally unavoidable, but you will never know until you get out there on the track and try it. Trust me, as many here will tell you, you haven't truelly enjoyed your baby until it shows you what it can do under a controlled environment. Just my $.02

Cheers,

Mario Alvarez
President - Adrenaline Freaks, LLC
www.adrenalinefreaks.com
AKA - Little Mario's Dad
www.younggunracer.com

In reviewing my Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Policy, prior to signing-up for a few NESBA trach-days, the following "Exclusion" was found in my policy. It looks pretty standard...

5. bodily injury or property damage resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest, stunting activity OR IN PRACTICE OR PREPARATION FOR ANY SUCH CONTEST OR ACTIVITY;

I intend to participate in a number of track-days this season and don't want to be left out-to-dry if I go down. The loss could be huge. :scared10:

Anybody understand how this "exclusion" would, or wouldn't apply to track-day participation???

flyingducman
03-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks Mario, for the "two-cents".

I talked to a Progressive rep today and she confirmed that my policy would cover me in the event of a claim arising from a track-day misfortune. I think my conversation with her was a lot around what you said regarding the differences between a race school, and a track-day provider.

I told her I wanted to increase my riding skills in a controlled atmosphere and with professional riding instruction. Not racing instruction, no trophies, not even "pratice" for a racing event. The chance of a claim from my track-day participation is probably less than riding the unruly suburban streets of the Northwest!

One thing I did buy my Ducati for was to take-it-to-the-limit. At this time I have no interest in spending more money on a second bike when I have one-of-the-best around. That's why I bought it, and I'm gonna ride it :evilgrin3

I just want to be sure that I'm covered on-the-track. Maybe I'll see you at a track-day this season?

Chris Koxlien
03-07-2005, 07:31 PM
If you can't pay for the pain ya can't play. I wouldn't turn anything into my insurance for my stupidity on a track day. You'll get the parts fixed by insurance, and they'll get even with the payments for the next 5 years. I doubt you'll save any money in the long run. If you run the track there is always a chance it could cost you more than the $165 entrance, that might be parts. Worth the trade as far as I am concerned. I figure a wreckless driving ticket would run $500 minimum + increased insurance cost for a heck of a long time on ALL you vehichles. I'm going to the track! :evilgrin3

bwhip
03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
My State Farm policy has a very similar exclusion. What I've heard over the years from most on many different forums on this subject is that your insurance company may cover you - once. After that they'll probably dump you or raise your rates through the roof.