PDA

View Full Version : Image Hosting Change

Jeremy
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
The Board has decided to cancel the account with our image host. This means that images can no longer uploaded directly to the desmonorthwest forum.

Instead, photos will need to be hosted on an outside website, and linked to the forum. As you all know, there are a ton of options to do this...to name a few:

www.photobucket.com (my favorite)
www.flickr.com
www.tinypic.com

This decision was made for 2 reasons. First, it will save the club the fees associated with the image hosting service. Given all the free options out there it seems silly to use club funds to pay for the service. Second, the image hosting service requires an account holder. This becomes confusing given the rotation of board members, meaning the account holder is constantly changing. This is unavoidable for some things, but is unnecessary for image hosting since other options exist.

Hopefully this isn't a major issue with anyone. From what I can tell most everyone already uses an outside image host when they want to post a photo. :)

kurtfriedrich
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
good move.

Lotus54
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I started using Photobucket after the other one had issues uploading a lot of times.

Should work just fine.

Mark

martys
07-15-2009, 09:25 PM
while not free, smugmug is excellent as well. some services like smugmug, flickr and even facebook have upload apps for your phone so the pics go direct to the hosting site as you take them. All the sites also do auto-resizing so you don't need to do much editing prior to uploading. just be sure to embed the smaller images, and link to the larger ones on your hosting site.

ducmons
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Could the powers that be remove the "Gallery" links that are found thruout the site? They are still a little confusing if click on, as they return an error code.

MySQL error reported!

Script: showmembers

Query: REPLACE INTO pp_laston VALUES(500,1112,)

Result: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1

Database handle: Resource id #5

Also - I just noticed the Web Albums are still functional, and you can still create an album and upload an image. Is that different from the "Gallery"?
It's found under User CP > Networking > Pictures & Albums
http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/album.php?do=addalbum

Thanks for all the help Board Members & Web Master! The new updates to the system are slick !!!!!!

Dan337
09-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I have removed the gallery link from the main menu on the homepage. Ducmons, does that link show anywhere else?

The album is a somewhat newer feature of vBulletin (2007 :D) and is completely separate from the broken gallery, which is an add-on that we were previously paying extra for.

I made an album for the hell of it and it looks like it replaces much of the functionality that the gallery provided: can create multiple albums to organize, thumbnails for browsing, and you can even serve up images from the site when uploaded (provides forum BB and HTML code for inserting). You can view a users album if they have marked it public by viewing their profile, it appears on the right sidebar. vBulletin also has a groups function that forum users can create and join, and you can associate albums with a group apparently.

So for now, it appears we are back in the business of hosting images with baseline functionality. Because the active membership is in the thousands, and not tens of thousands or more, I think it shouldn't impact our web hosting too badly. Hasn't so far right? However, we may want to consider limiting this functionality to DOC members such that we don't get someone signing up just to host and serve questionable images. The current setting of automatic 600px resizing pretty much takes care of that, but a measure of security wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for reminding me to fix this!

dc

Could the powers that be remove the "Gallery" links that are found thruout the site? They are still a little confusing if click on, as they return an error code.

MySQL error reported!

Script: showmembers

Query: REPLACE INTO pp_laston VALUES(500,1112,)

Result: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1

Database handle: Resource id #5

Also - I just noticed the Web Albums are still functional, and you can still create an album and upload an image. Is that different from the "Gallery"?
It's found under User CP > Networking > Pictures & Albums
http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/album.php?do=addalbum

Thanks for all the help Board Members & Web Master! The new updates to the system are slick !!!!!!

ducmons
09-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Master Dan for the updates/changes.

To make sure I understand correctly, we are allowed to use Albums on the site. Correct?

I'll also keep an eye out for broken galley links and will PM you when/if I find one.

I have removed the gallery link from the main menu on the homepage. Ducmons, does that link show anywhere else?

The album is a somewhat newer feature of vBulletin (2007 :D) and is completely separate from the broken gallery, which is an add-on that we were previously paying extra for.

I made an album for the hell of it and it looks like it replaces much of the functionality that the gallery provided: can create multiple albums to organize, thumbnails for browsing, and you can even serve up images from the site when uploaded (provides forum BB and HTML code for inserting). You can view a users album if they have marked it public by viewing their profile, it appears on the right sidebar. vBulletin also has a groups function that forum users can create and join, and you can associate albums with a group apparently.

So for now, it appears we are back in the business of hosting images with baseline functionality. Because the active membership is in the thousands, and not tens of thousands or more, I think it shouldn't impact our web hosting too badly. Hasn't so far right? However, we may want to consider limiting this functionality to DOC members such that we don't get someone signing up just to host and serve questionable images. The current setting of automatic 600px resizing pretty much takes care of that, but a measure of security wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for reminding me to fix this!

dc

Dan337
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks Master Dan for the updates/changes.

To make sure I understand correctly, we are allowed to use Albums on the site. Correct?

I'll also keep an eye out for broken galley links and will PM you when/if I find one.

From what I can tell, this feature has been available and is a standard feature of vBulletin. Jeremy, any objections or concerns?

dc