PDA

View Full Version : Need peoples opinion about clip-ons

baddabigboom
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
So guys, I've finally found out why I've always been in so much pain with my back and neck. And some docs say I shouldn't try to ride anymore. But I've been riding on 2 wheels for well over 10 years now and there's no way I'm giving it up.

So I'd like everyones opinion on whether I'm going to Hell for what I'm doing to my bike.

As most of you know I have an 03 999s that I love to tinker on, and will most likely have buried with me. Well the bikes cockpit is very problematic for me. Aggravates a herniated disc half way up my back which then causes all sorts of other problems. It's mostly because I'm leaned over so much. So what I've done is take a pair of aftermarket clip-ons and instead of having the bars slanted down, I flipped the mounts over so that they are now pretty much parallel with the ground. I'm still making fine tuning adjustments for the steering, but so far it's much more comfortable for me to ride. Less strain on the back.

Being a bit of a purist (like to keep with the original concept the the designers created), but I am willing to make a change if I think it improves upon that concept. I have a somewhat dislike for what I've had to do. While it does improve the bike for me, a true connoisseur will notice what I've done. Bars are still at the same height, just no longer raked down.

So, the question is... Should I put it back to the way it's supposed to be, and just suck it up? or am I ok with the mod?

Carr
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Dude, if it makes riding more comfortable to you then do it, that's all that matters.

Dave R
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.helibars.com/popup/ducati/HB3749/full01.jpg
http://www.helibars.com/popup/ducati/HB3749/full04.jpg (http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB3749)
http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB3749

This is the easiest solution IMO

Bong
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Like Carr said do what makes you able to ride your duc pain free.

Is trading for a more upright duc an option?

Jeremy
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Dude, if it makes riding more comfortable to you then do it, that's all that matters.

+1

Heli-bar might have a more elegant (and expensive) solution if that's what you're looking for.

edit: Dave R beat me to it!

KyuzoDaimyo
07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Ageed. Whatever makes riding more comfortable is the right thing to do. Racers do all sorts of weird things to their bikes to get better laptimes (one of the things Ducati recently did for Nicky Hayden is put on a much thicker seat to push his weight forward). For us non-racers, track day laptimes might be nice, but making something comfortable for you will make you a better rider, and you will enjoy it more.

Bikes are, essentially, infinitely adjustable. Make whatever adjustments work for you.

baddabigboom
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Like Carr said do what makes you able to ride your duc pain free.

Is trading for a more upright duc an option?

Thanks for the opinions all. I really wanted to make sure that no one was going to yell at me when I got out there on the road.

I knew someone was going to ask about a trade in...
No Bong... you can't have it. :happy57:

This bike has some sentimental attachment and there's no way I'll be parting with it. Besides, while the Monster style bikes are no doubt really comfortable, I much prefer the sport bike look.

Dave -
Wish I had known about those bars a while ago. That would've made things a lot easier. The one's I'm working with now are just some universals that I got pretty cheap. They've been in my garage in a box for over a year now.

Thanks.

Scottsst
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I think Speedy Moto makes so nice clipons as well check them out . And first and foremost do what works there are a large number of parts around for the 999 family of bikes you will find something that works

martys
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Gilles VarioBars (http://www.oppracing.com/products/712-gilles-tooling-variobars-and-risers-clip-ons/) are supposed to be very adjustable and come in a variety of heights.

Also, have you considered fixing your herniated disc to relieve the pain?
:poke:

gregc
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Get the bars that make you feel comfortable and if you find yourself sitting up to tall for your windscreen I have this triple bubble that I modded my 749 with which allows you to sit higher. I no longer use it so for a very small price it can be yours.

PS get your back fixed

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff259/s4rs888/turn682908-1.jpg

Lotus54
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Certainly anything that makes it so you can comfortably ride the bike is fine.

I personally find bars that are too flat (parallel to the ground) hard on my wrists. I like them to angle down and back.
Sit where you want and with your eyes closed lower your and (gripping phantom bars) down to where you feel good. Check the angle both down and back on your wrists and see if you can match that.

Wasn't it CycleCat that made some very adjustable clip ons?

Mark

Quack
07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
They are good bars, I have them. But because of the fairing you cannot get that much adjustability. It was enough for me though.
Gilles VarioBars (http://www.oppracing.com/products/712-gilles-tooling-variobars-and-risers-clip-ons/) are supposed to be very adjustable and come in a variety of heights.

Also, have you considered fixing your herniated disc to relieve the pain?
:poke:

martys
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Certainly anything that makes it so you can comfortably ride the bike is fine.

I personally fine bars that are too flat (parallel to the ground) hard on my wrists. I like them to angle down and back.
Sit where you want and with your eyes closed lower your and (gripping phantom bars) down to where you feel good. Check the angle both down and back on your wrists and see if you can match that.

Wasn't it CycleCat that made some very adjustable clip ons?

Mark

CycleCat made fabulous clip-ons and other billet accessories, I had a bunch of their stuff on my monster, it was beautiful.

Sieg
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
SpeedyMoto

Tall Boys:
http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/08-0250BLK_3.jpg
Check out our newest member of the clip-on family...Tall Boys.

These new clip-ons were designed with the Ducati Monsters, Super Sports and Sport Classics in mind, but they will work on most bikes. We have built in 4.5 inches of rise over a standard clip-on and it comes with our adjustable bars. You can set the Tall Boys up for every application no matter if you want a comfort or aggressive position.
This kit at its highest level will give most bikes about 3 1/2 inches of rise above there top triple and 10 degrees and 2 inches of sweeping adjustment with the bars. But don't be deceived, if you want a more aggressive riding position for more control you can lower them down the forks 2-3inches, these clip-ons are the business!

Machined from 6061 aircraft grade aluminum
All beautiful tapered stainless hardware provided.
Engineered to dampen vibration and maximize feel.
Works on almost any bike.
4 1/2 inches of overall rise.

Standard replacement style:
http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/08-00adjust.jpg

patorojo
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Here is a random suggestion. I have shoulder issues and recently put clip-ons on my Monster, after having the stock bar and risers...

A tank bag. Seriously. You rest your body on it taking the pressure off back/arms/wrists/shoulders when you are going slower than when the air pressure holds you up. Works for me on longer rides.

baddabigboom
07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
ya. I already use a tank bag for it's "comfort" capabilities. Also as Marty asked. No surgery yet. though it has been discussed. Problem according to my doc is that there's no real good long term fix for my particular problem. While it does exist, it's simply not allowed in the US just yet. Hopefully soon though.

Sport bikes seem to be a little tricky with the bar thing. With the tank location, top wing support for the nose fairing, and still getting reasonable movement for turning, it's really disappointing that there's not more options. Nature of the beast I guess. What I'm currently working on is actually my second attempt at this dilemma. A lot of trial and error.

Dr. Duc
07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Patrick,

Hang in there. I'm 51. I've had three surgeries on my lumbar spine and one on my neck. I've had to have my right shoulder rebuilt. I still have four levels in my neck where combinations of disk and bone touch my spinal cord and I've ridden my Paul Smart 870 miles in a night with stock bars but the 20mm spacer removed, which allowed me to raise the bars by that much.

I currently have some SpeedyMoto clip-ons mounted but with the angle set very much like the stock bend.

I'm able to ride as long and as comfortably as I can because I'm a fanatic about doing the exercises that I need to do to keep the muscles that support my spine strong enough to hold it within a safe range so that the nerves don't get pinched. I also ride close to 20K miles per year to help keep my body adjusted to dealing with the loads that riding places on it.

Definitely find some bars that work for you, but make sure that you also get hooked up with a good physical therapist, preferrably one skilled in working with people who have chronically painful conditions (your best bet for finding such a therapist may be to look in a neuromuscular rehabilitation department rather than in outpatient orthopedic settings). Get that therapist to evaluate you while sitting on your bike and then design a set of exercises that will help you develop the strength and flexibility you need to ride more comfortably.

Because muscles can only actively contract (that is, you cannot use your biceps muscle to extend, ie., straighten your arm when you've bent it at the elbow), you will need to strenthen the muscles that run along side your spine.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.