PDA

View Full Version : Expecting the worst

ijji
07-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Fired up the bike (S2R) on Saturday morning, preparing for a nice ride over the mountains. Initial inspection showed nothing unusual. I fired the bike up and let it warm up. After firing up the other bike (620) to let it warm up, I turned around and saw smoke rising from the mid-pipe. Oil had dripped down from the back of the rear cylinder. I turned the bike off and upon closer inspection, there is a small pool of oil at the base which leads me to believe that the gasket has run its course.

While I would love to do this myself, I don't really have the equipment (or skill). Is this a costly service? The bike is at 24.5k and nothing else is wrong with it.

motodave
07-28-2009, 10:39 AM
If it is a base gasket issue then I would be prepared to spend $400-$500 to get repaired. Base gaskets issue's are kinda of common on the 2 valve air cooled motor's, but w/o actual cleaning of the area and inspecting where it's leaking my estimate could be wrong. :(

ijji
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks Dave... I'll give Brian a call and schedule some time.

Rich Quarre
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Have the valves been checked recently? The reason I ask is not that it's a valve issue, but it could be leaking from the vertical cylinder's aft rocker cover. The one on my Monster did after a recent service. I had noticed some oil around the exhaust flange running down to a small pool at the base of the cylinder. Turned out that the rear rocker cover was just loose...easy fix.

ijji
07-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Just did the 22.5 at Eastside about a month ago. I'm sure they will check that and others when I bring it in. Thanks!

Norton992
07-28-2009, 08:53 PM
If nothing else a quick ride on a Streetfighter could not hurt. I had to do one of those while the multi got new tires fore and aft. It was torture but somehow I pulled through.

ijji
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Dave, thanks to you, Brian, and everyone over at Eastside for the speedy repair. It was well worth the soaking wet ride home last night :)

motodave
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Hope you didnt get to wet last night, after you left there was a pool the size of texas in the back lot I had to wade through to get to my truck.:happy44: Let me know if there is anything else we can do. :)

martys
08-14-2009, 12:55 PM
so what was the diagnose / repair ?

ijji
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
base gasket on the vertical. Glad it wasn't anything worse!