PDA

View Full Version : Ngng: Reverse Shift Lever!

DJS
03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey Ng, just want to let you know the old style billet 748-998 Ducati Performance reverse shift arm works on the 749-999.

Mine works great from my 748S and now on my 749S. The arm clears the side panels great and there is a good amount of adjustment still available. Best of all it beats having to buy brand new rear sets at big $$$.

Sorry folk if you already knew this.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/images%5Clg447419093.jpg

darkduc
03-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Good to know! I almost bought this lever to do the GP Shifting but wasn't sure it would work. I guess I'll have to go get one now and make the switch! :evilgrin3

ngng
03-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey Ng, just want to let you know the old style billet 748-998 Ducati Performance reverse shift arm works on the 749-999.

Mine works great from my 748S and now on my 749S. The arm clears the side panels great and there is a good amount of adjustment still available. Best of all it beats having to buy brand new rear sets at big $$$.

Sorry folk if you already knew this.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/images%5Clg447419093.jpg

Looks just like the one that you can purcahse for the aftermarket rearset. Where did you pick that up, and how much? :) I need GP shift back again :)

You gotta check out my new xenon conversion too ;)

DJS
03-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I got it at my favorite Ducati Signature shop...Ducati Seattle.

I can’t remember how much it was but I’m sure Jon will know and can order a couple up fast.

Give them a call. GP shift is a must!!! Fun and cheap mod!!!

Ducati Seattle
206-298-9995

Torben
03-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Or you could reverse the linkage for free :rolleyes:

DJS
03-17-2005, 04:16 PM
That's an idea too! T have you done this? The thing with reversing the linkage is you still have all the STUFF to deal with. The shift arm bolts straight on with no other required bits and pieces. Clean crisp shifts every time! To be honest I never thought of doing the linkage mod. Wait...if you do that don’t you need a different shift arm off the engine? I have heard the arm will not clear the slave when flipped.

Torben
03-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Haven't done it because I'd forget I reversed it and come into a nice straight and end up tucking the front end :p
Looking at the linkage it's mechanically possible and at a glance don't see any reason why it wouldn't clear the slave, but then again I really haven't messed with it - I just know others have done it.
Aren't plyers meant for bending things? :evilgrin3

ngng
03-17-2005, 06:39 PM
That's an idea too! T have you done this? The thing with reversing the linkage is you still have all the STUFF to deal with. The shift arm bolts straight on with no other required bits and pieces. Clean crisp shifts every time! To be honest I never thought of doing the linkage mod. Wait...if you do that donÕt you need a different shift arm off the engine? I have heard the arm will not clear the slave when flipped.

You NEED that straight piece that you posted up David, you CANNOT just reverse the OEM linkage...trust me, I would have ;)

Torben
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Actually yes you can reverse the stock linkage.
From our friends, Speedzilla:
"Oh yes it does work. I just flipped the lever on the shaft repositioned it at about 1 o clock and retightened the bolt, you need a small curved 5mm wrench to tighten the bolt. It does work you have to loosen the shaft and turn the barrel all the way towards the foot shifter. It's tight and only will mount if you position it at the point I mentioned above.This is my second bike that I've converted to reverse pattern and I love it!"
Like I said I haven't done it because I'd tuck the front but mechanically it works.

Bong
03-17-2005, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Torben]Like I said I haven't done it because I'd tuck the front /QUOTE]

??What do you mean??

Torben
03-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, it's been my short experience that should you downshift too soon, the front end tucks in and you could crash because the rotation of the front tire can't keep up with the sudden change in gearing.
Course, it could just be me :happy57:

UKDuc
03-17-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't think you have to worry about tucking the front in - it'll be the back end that will lock up if you change down instead of up. For some reason I did that the other day on a ride - was at about 6500 or probably more and changed down instead of up (I shouldn't inhale those paint fumes in my garage...) and the back locked up nicely and squirled around a bit. I haven't bothered going to GP shift because I don't see the benefit for the riding I do - but maybe I am not trying hard enough :D

darkduc
03-18-2005, 01:25 AM
I fiddled with reversing the stock linkage and didn't like the way it turned out, too tight. I'm gonna get me one of those straight GP Shifters instead... :)

ngng
03-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Actually yes you can reverse the stock linkage.
From our friends, Speedzilla:
"Oh yes it does work. I just flipped the lever on the shaft repositioned it at about 1 o clock and retightened the bolt, you need a small curved 5mm wrench to tighten the bolt. It does work you have to loosen the shaft and turn the barrel all the way towards the foot shifter. It's tight and only will mount if you position it at the point I mentioned above.This is my second bike that I've converted to reverse pattern and I love it!"
Like I said I haven't done it because I'd tuck the front but mechanically it works.

It may work mechanically, but I'm talking realistically ;) There isn't enough leverage on it to make it realistic.

ngng
03-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't think you have to worry about tucking the front in - it'll be the back end that will lock up if you change down instead of up. For some reason I did that the other day on a ride - was at about 6500 or probably more and changed down instead of up (I shouldn't inhale those paint fumes in my garage...) and the back locked up nicely and squirled around a bit. I haven't bothered going to GP shift because I don't see the benefit for the riding I do - but maybe I am not trying hard enough :D

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes the bike doesnt entirely shift UP gears...so after I shift, and I go WOT the bike slips into neutral :o

I like being able to slam my foot to shift up...not to mention in the corners your foot isn't under the shifter ;)

Bong
03-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I find that with the GP shifter you get better shifting action as there is no linkages to hassle with. There is no "play" as the shifter mounts directly to the input shaft. Just watch out for the 5th to 6th gear shift as I found a false neutral occassionally if I didn't give a firm enough tap on the shifter.

osofast
04-04-2005, 08:12 AM
I installed the DP reverse rear sets over the weekend and all I have to say is, WOW! The 1st thing I noticed is the slack has been removed and gear engagment is smoother. You should try this set up. I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am.