PDA

View Full Version : What is it you WANT but doesn't exist!?

glendmcc
09-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Full disclosure:
Total self promotion in hopes of some sort of financial gain...

That being said. With work cutting hours, the dentist telling me she needs to make my face into a mining operation and dreaming of buying a house, I figure I should see what people want for their bikes that isn't available.

I've been making some tubular exhaust hangers for early SSs and will be throwing together a high mount megaphone exhaust for my monster and SS (maybe not both this weekend). Considering I'm a fabricator and have an amazing shop at my disposal, what sorts of little things would people want for their bikes? There's a great machine shop (no cnc), tigs galore, and sheet metal forming aplenty...I figure, why not utilize the facilities i have available and make cool stuff for the Duc world! Chime on in. (response isn't a commission to have it built, so let the replys fly!

Sieg
09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
All I want is a money tree.

richmeyer
09-03-2009, 09:44 PM
super powers, more specifically telekenisis. Oh, and a Quat-D Ex box like exhaust that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

KyuzoDaimyo
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Actually, I've been looking for a really nice shorter-than-stock kickstand for my wife's monster. Cycle Cat used to make one, but when I tried to buy one of the last ones it never worked out. Since she had the rear suspension lowered the bike stands nearly vertical on its sidestand and we have to be selective about where we park, which is annoying. I would love to get one that is about an inch shorter than stock and looks really good, rather than the crappy bodge-job I found somebody selling.

Scottsst
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
thats to funny I need a longer kickstand for the same reason my ride hight went up intead of down

Jeremy
09-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I would like a cool headlight fairing for my Multi streetfighter. :cool2:

Something like this, but incorporating my existing headlight:

58TypeDuc
09-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Actually, I've been looking for a really nice shorter-than-stock kickstand for my wife's monster. Cycle Cat used to make one, but when I tried to buy one of the last ones it never worked out. Since she had the rear suspension lowered the bike stands nearly vertical on its sidestand and we have to be selective about where we park, which is annoying. I would love to get one that is about an inch shorter than stock and looks really good, rather than the crappy bodge-job I found somebody selling.

"stole" this off another forum on a google search.

I have a friend who had her sidestand shortened on her F4i Honda after lowering her ride. The way it was done was to first cut the pad contact area off, then cut the appropriate length off the remaining end...then re-weld the pad back on the shortened stand so the finished product looks just like the original except shorter....no extra weld marks in-between the pivot and tip of the side-stand. So even if the weld breaks or cracks, your bike won't fall over because only the pad piece that contacts the ground would be affected.

Rich Quarre
09-04-2009, 06:31 AM
thats to funny I need a longer kickstand for the same reason my ride hight went up intead of down

Scott, you can still get some longer CycleCat new left-overs from:
http://oncycles.com/browse.asp?department=billetaccessories&category=sidestands
Pretty reasonable price. I don't believe they'll fit a standard 800, but should fit your 800s (I had used one on my 800s and just added one to the 900s).
:threadjacked: Sorry

sda8779
09-04-2009, 10:33 AM

+1 for a longer kickstand for a Monster 620 2006

glendmcc
09-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Ahhh good to know! I can definitely do longer/shorter side stands, either adapted stockers or one offs. Anyone have a spare stock they're willing to donate? I can make a jig off of that and build longer or shorter. Donor gets a free long or short!

baddabigboom
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
A box end wrench that has a ratcheting function. NOT a ratchet wrench, they're to bulky to get into the tight spaces, but a wrench that's just as thin as a traditional box-end with a ratchet capability.

glendmcc
09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
super powers, more specifically telekenisis. Oh, and a Quat-D Ex box like exhaust that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

For a moment I thought you wanted tele skis! I've got a bunch of those! Quat-D style exhaust would be a fun project....Hmm shop cleanup just unearthed a bunch of Titanium sheet.....

richmeyer
09-04-2009, 06:34 PM
For a moment I thought you wanted tele skis! I've got a bunch of those! Quat-D style exhaust would be a fun project....Hmm shop cleanup just unearthed a bunch of Titanium sheet.....

A Ti Quat-D Ex Box style exhaust, hmmmmm, interesting, very very interesting....

bafflebrain
09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
One of them fancy levitation bike the Stormtroopers ride...

WildRunner1916
09-04-2009, 08:19 PM
looking for a way to mount a headlight from an 05 M1000 to a 96 suzuki bandit...

short of that... um... world peace, beautiful women to adore me, um.... the skill and talent of a moto gp racer...

ronin
09-05-2009, 10:30 PM
peace and friggin quiet :sleep:

ride57
09-06-2009, 09:38 PM
A winning lottery ticket :happy57:

Bill Anderson
09-06-2009, 10:36 PM
A 2010 ST4s in yellow.

Scottsst
09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
A 2010 ST4s in yellow.

:+1: I really want to see a 1098/1198 based touring bike

Nathan
09-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I would like some mounts built so I can then mount factory bags to my SS. I really would like some hard luggage for my ride so I can get lost in style.

Habanero
09-07-2009, 09:14 AM
:+1: I really want to see a 1098/1198 based touring bike

I think you'll see it in November.

Scottsst
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I think you'll see it in November.

I think your right

Nathan
09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Does that mean I get to by a new bike?

dwnhillskater
09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
A desmosedici engine with a 748 frame...

Heathbert
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Ahhh good to know! I can definitely do longer/shorter side stands, either adapted stockers or one offs. Anyone have a spare stock they're willing to donate? I can make a jig off of that and build longer or shorter. Donor gets a free long or short!

I've got a Cycle Cat extended length (DKS-35) that is currently unused in a box. I know it fits a M695 and doesn't fit a S2R.

ericz
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Stop thinking about winter already! Sheesh! A little wet and ..........:scared10:

Dr. Duc
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
OK, here are some ideas that came to mind for me. How about some stepped headers in stainless that fit my Paul Smart and will work with the Termignoni single exhaust, some personalized cam support covers, and some custom outer sliders (the aluminum piece that the axle goes through on the outside of the swingarm) and end covers for the SportClassic swingarms (though these might require or be easier to make with a CNC machine). I wouldn't mind having another window in my Rizoma belt covers so that you could see the upper pulleys. Maybe a cool titanium, stainless, or aluminum battery box to replace the stock black plastic unit, and make it with enough room that auxilliary cables such as my Battery Tender and Heat-Troller have room to exit the box easily. Prehaps line the custom metal battery box with foam rubber or whatever is necessary to keep things from shorting out...

There. That should keep you busy for an hour or two :happy57:

geoffreyrossi
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
i've been sketching for a while on a design for a luggage mounting system to fit my sport 1000 - would require some brackets and a removeable subframe for panniers and a rear bag.

pm me if you're interested in discussing the details - could be an item that others might want if it comes out ok and is reasonably priced.

JetBrett
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Ducati related: A way to raise the back end of my 695...lowering is no problem, but I haven't found a way to raise it unless I fabricate the bar myself. Also, a Ducati sport touring model along the lines of the old ST, Honda VFR, and Triumph Sprint. Something that would still be fun at the track, but that you could also ride all day on in comfort.

Motorcycle Related: A force field to keep people from trying to run into me. Street legal mini-rocket launchers to fire at people who refuse to yield to faster moving traffic in the fast lane.

Dreaming: A personal harem (all 10's) who are all independently wealthy, funny, intelligent, can kick ass, love to clean, love to ride, and are enthusiastic and...um...otherwise skilled. Immortality, so my harem doesn't do me in. Super powers like flight...no more crappy airline service...and super strength, because that would be freakin awesome. :cool2:

Nathan
09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Some of you have put some serious thought into this. I would also like some new brackets for my PIAA's.

glendmcc
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Come on down! I'll have not only my 9-5 (9:30-5) shop, but my own personal shop space in Ballard (Near Backfiresville) starting October for the long term/larger projects!

OK, here are some ideas that came to mind for me. How about some stepped headers in stainless that fit my Paul Smart and will work with the Termignoni single exhaust, some personalized cam support covers, and some custom outer sliders (the aluminum piece that the axle goes through on the outside of the swingarm) and end covers for the SportClassic swingarms (though these might require or be easier to make with a CNC machine). I wouldn't mind having another window in my Rizoma belt covers so that you could see the upper pulleys. Maybe a cool titanium, stainless, or aluminum battery box to replace the stock black plastic unit, and make it with enough room that auxilliary cables such as my Battery Tender and Heat-Troller have room to exit the box easily. Prehaps line the custom metal battery box with foam rubber or whatever is necessary to keep things from shorting out...

There. That should keep you busy for an hour or two :happy57:

Dr. Duc
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Come on down! I'll have not only my 9-5 (9:30-5) shop, but my own personal shop space in Ballard (Near Backfiresville) starting October for the long term/larger projects!

Shoot me a pm w/your ideas about what to start with and we can begin planning a time frame for getting the bike there.

Doctorlumen
09-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Did we meet at backfire? Are you buddies with Randy??

Anyway....I am currently in project mode with my S4R, and have been dreaming up parts I'd love to build but don't quite have the skill to accomplish.

The main thing I dream of is a one peice Cat-Eliminator that dosen't require the stock manifold pipe/flange. The Spark and Marving units are nice, but I believe they use that stock flange thing. And well, mine are rusty and gross. And I do like Titanium...:rolleyes:

Also wouldn't mind machining my clutch cover on the cheap.

Any plastics experience? I'm thinking about making my own undertail eliminator to take the place of the oil-breather-overflow box.

And if you still want to talk, my 400-four could use some custom rearsets and a battery re-location.

And AND....one of those new 1098/ST4 bikes. With missiles.:happy44:

danimal99
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
+1 on the missiles.... I would like to show you my battery config for my 400 four and I have a few friends that have done some amazing things too...

I would love a lil help lengthing and cleaning up my header on my 400 Four

Did we meet at backfire? Are you buddies with Randy??

And if you still want to talk, my 400-four could use some custom rearsets and a battery re-location.

And AND....one of those new 1098/ST4 bikes. With missiles.:happy44:

glendmcc
09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I do have one set of missiles, but the tracking system needs to be worked out...Feel free to PM me and we can talk! I'll be at Backfire! (I've got a lot of hair, sideburns, naked SS with a white frame..

danimal99
09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I do have one set of missiles, but the tracking system needs to be worked out...Feel free to PM me and we can talk! I'll be at Backfire! (I've got a lot of hair, sideburns, naked SS with a white frame..

I know you.... we have met a few times.... see you wednesday.

DS4R
09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I want a servo attached my exhaust to control noise level (stealth mode or full volume) and backpressure.

sda8779
09-14-2009, 05:59 PM

I would like a titanium or stainless steel 1 inch puck to attach onto the end of the kickstand of my 2006 M620D. My ride height went up as well. I think aluminum would be too soft and wear to quickly.

Scottsst
09-14-2009, 06:02 PM
check out the posting that Rich Quarre made to my post. they are so cheap it's stupid

sda8779
09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
check out the posting that Rich Quarre made to my post. they are so cheap it's stupid

Unfortunately it won't work on a 2006 M620. Bummer.

Scottsst
01-11-2010, 11:03 PM
after looking at the super secret project you have going and the last comment I made about it. I think some new rear sets would be cool! nothin to fancy I just don't like any of the ones that are around right now

sda8779
01-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I still need a longer side stand for my 2006 M620D.

dwnhillskater
01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
A 500hp AWD conversion for my Toyota Yaris...

Scottsst
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
A 500hp AWD conversion for my Toyota Yaris...

Call Rod Millen on that one Aaron he may be able to help you with that

DRS
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
[root@racdb02 ~]# man woman
No manual entry for woman

Scottsst
02-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I really need a new header for my monster.Silmoto at one point made one but they dont any more. I don't know how much Ti would cost to build a new one but I would love to find out.

glendmcc
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I can check on ti prices, I just got my new tig welder today so I'm psyched to get using it! My personal shop is coming together, new welder, mill in the works, should be up and cranking evenings and weekends very very soon!

Scottsst
02-26-2010, 06:42 PM
that would be sweet. I'm starting to get he ready for the track this year and just noticed a couple flat spots in the lower pipe that is not good for HP

Rich Quarre
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I still need a longer side stand for my 2006 M620D.
You ought'a check with glendmcc. Sounds like he could probably fabricate/mod a stand for you.

glendmcc
02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I can definitely extend one for you, although if oncycle still has their sale going, you can't beat $24!

Scottsst
04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
I got one more for ya! how about a tidy tail kit for my Monster . I have been thinking about doing a tail chop on my monster and I really don't like any of the plate relocation kits that are around. I would like to be able to use turn signals with it.

molamphy
04-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Ti exhuast hangers, Glen. I'd hate to have a can fall off and hit Bong when he's lapping me.:happy57:

Stig
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I need a nice and clean Fender Eliminator for Sport Classic.
Something that Bolts on without any drillin' and lights the plate.

Ala This...http://palatov.com/products/motorcycle.html

This would so make my day.

fseven
04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
It'd be nice to clean up the tail-end of the 696 by doing an assenddectomy, but I plan on being an all-year-round rider. It would be nice to have a rear fender that provided more coverage directly over the wheel so I could get rid of the monster sized [pun?] stock one.

Wyckedan
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I need a nice and clean Fender Eliminator for Sport Classic.
Something that Bolts on without any drillin' and lights the plate.

Ala This...http://palatov.com/products/motorcycle.html

This would so make my day.

I'm confused. You want it and you found a place to get it, but it doesn't exist??? My concept of reality just got all f'd up

glendmcc
04-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I got some TI for your hangers sitting in a tube at the shop! Just need some measurements and I can fab-em-up! I also made up a jig to eliminate the rear passenger pegs from a Street Fighter and make a single SF exhaust hanger out of ti (Anyone...anyone..?

molamphy
04-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I got some TI for your hangers sitting in a tube at the shop! Just need some measurements and I can fab-em-up! I also made up a jig to eliminate the rear passenger pegs from a Street Fighter and make a single SF exhaust hanger out of ti (Anyone...anyone..?

Definitely will do that when I get back. I'll throw the bike in the trailer and bring it up. I'm sure there are other things to measure.:happy44:

Stig
04-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm confused. You want it and you found a place to get it, but it doesn't exist??? My concept of reality just got all f'd up

Theres always room for improvement, and I'd like to get it local if is a nice clean fabrication :)

diolopez
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
How about full headers for the xerox and possibly the 998. I would like to keep the cans I have now and just replace the pipes. Do you make exhaust?

58TypeDuc
08-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Oooohhh, I know something, especially for me. I realize it's still very self deprecating but oh well:

1) Self confidence
2) Cornering ability
3) Able to hold speed whilst having both of the above

I realize not gear related but it does hold true

Oh and a fuel level gage and not just a light.

Sieg
08-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Easy fixes budy!

1) Self confidence - Practice, Practice, Practice

2) Cornering ability - Practice, Practice, Practice

3) Able to hold speed whilst having both of the above - It will come naturally because you have to carry speed to lean, the more speed the more lean angle.

Experience in baby steps is the best teacher, experience builds confidence. Simple solution is to ride as much as you can in an environment you're comfortable with. If that's a parking lot going around in circles left and right so be it. That's how I got familiar with my supermoto's handling traits and built my technique. Just keep track of how you're progressing and keep adding elements that create a challenge for you.

I realize not gear related but it does hold true - Well gear does create confidence, as it creates a sense of security.

Oh and a fuel level gage and not just a light. - Use your trip odometer. Doesn't take checking your mileage to many times to come up with a safe average, then you'll know how long til reserve and how far on reserve.

Go Ride........as much as possible! :thumbup:

58TypeDuc
08-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh and a fuel level gage and not just a light. - Use your trip odometer. Doesn't take checking your mileage to many times to come up with a safe average, then you'll know how long til reserve and how far on reserve.

132 miles until the light comes on. I know that one. It was just a thought, something to 'make' I suppose, I make everything else work.

Guess the point of trying to just leave the drive way (now that I have one) is a step..

Jeremy
08-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Jax, have you considered getting a smaller bike to gain some confidence? Like a Ninja 250, Monster 620, SV650, etc. Sounds to me like your nervous with riding in general, not with just the 748.

Ducati SBKS are awesome, but they aren't the best bikes for picking up general riding confidence. They aren't easy to ride at slow speeds, they're hot, and they're uncomfortable (at slow speeds). The new ones are better in these regards, but the older ones (like the 748) are really meant to be ridden hard...so they don't like going slow. My 748 isn't easy to ride slow...pick up the pace and it's great though.

Maybe a smaller bike with a more standard seating positions to get some confidence and experience...then hop back on the 748?

58TypeDuc
08-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Jax, have you considered getting a smaller bike to gain some confidence? Like a Ninja 250, Monster 620, SV650, etc. Sounds to me like your nervous with riding in general, not with just the 748.

Ducati SBKS are awesome, but they aren't the best bikes for picking up general riding confidence. They aren't easy to ride at slow speeds, they're hot, and they're uncomfortable (at slow speeds). The new ones are better in these regards, but the older ones (like the 748) are really meant to be ridden hard...so they don't like going slow. My 748 isn't easy to ride slow...pick up the pace and it's great though.

Maybe a smaller bike with a more standard seating positions to get some confidence and experience...then hop back on the 748?

Problem is I am too tall for nearly anything out there. I had a Monster 620, one of the most uncomfortable rides I had, even with the bars raised up and a higher seat. It met an untimely end catching gravel on a left hand turn (hence the left issue) and found the posts of a guard rail a few years ago.

I have really bad issues with shaking (me, not the bikes) so without a camera with shakey hands mode, its blur after blur..but I would make a great vibrating massage for someone out there and it royally sucks trying to solder..15 minutes for a 10 second job.
Maybe if I start just riding again like I should anyway I would be ok. It's more the persona that everyone really doesn't want me in their way and displays it and then me overthinking that everyone really doesn't want me around that makes it even worse. Yes I could go see a shrink but they have all told me the same thing (it's all in my head) and it just gets old.
Besides, I don't have space for another bike. Was thinking eventually at having a BMW for a commuter but I have to finish at least one project to make any space at all.

On the other note, I am not social, and I don't often go out so no meeting people and making more than just the rare acquaintance. I am a loner, I do everything by myself, riding included. Those that I have ridden with probably agree I deserve to ride alone since I do get in the way..or make people slow down. Yes I beat myself up about it, shit happens. I do it all the time.
I don't like asking for help. When I do, I usually get yelled at or whatever else. So I don't usually ask anymore.
Confidence goes up a point, then I think logically and tear myself down well below where I started. I love the 748, even if it's just riding to work, in a straight line, with the occasional corner (that I am getting slowly better at) and making people at work jealous that I have it.

TMI, I know. I'll shut up now.

PS...anyone want to go for a ride.......with me....:peepwall:

Habanero
08-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Jax-

Have you ever ridden a dirt bike? That would be a great place for you to get more confident....another avenue to try would be a supermoto style bike. They are very comfortable for tall guys, you can see a lot better, and they are very nimble and fun, also.

58TypeDuc
08-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Nope, when I grew up we could afford a bicycle and i rode a lot on gravel so I fixed it a lot too. When you don't have friends, you don't get offroad toys. If you crash and can't get up, who's gonna help?

beyote
08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
A one peice socket/extension so nothing breaks when pulling off the rear wheel of a SSS would be grand.