DesmoNorthwest Premier Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WMRRA Round 1 at Pacific This Weekend

Default Re: WMRRA Round 1 at Pacific This Weekend

Really glad to hear you're ok brother. Heal up quick

Damn, hang in there Jax. Let me know if you need help moving anything around in the garage. Keep your spirits up!

Glad to hear your ok. Get well quickly.
    Joe Sarullo - 2006 749r

Hope you're feeling better soon Jax. Big oh shit as I went through t-8 under red flag and saw your bike down and a rider surrounded by medics. You've come a long way in this sport Jax, see you back on the grid soon. Turns out it was a tough weekend for red dogs!

moderation in moderation
    ............................you're dead a long time
    never go to a gunfight without a gun and never pull a gun in a snowball fight.
    Hayduke Lives!
    WMrrA # 888
    06 749s track (serious stealth weapon, sold to a fast guy)
    03 R6 track (sprint)
    04 R6 track (endurance, trackday ride)
    07 KTM 560 SMR track (off season conditioning machine)
    04 KTM 200 EXC (just for fun)

Dang, Jax, sorry to hear about your crash! Please let me know if I can be of any help, OK? Get well quickly buddy.

1979 Darmah 900 SSD
    2014 Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak
    Bellevue, WA

Just having fun.

Any other race reports? How did Jeremy and Greg fair?

1979 Darmah 900 SSD
    Bellevue, WA

Just having fun.

I was just getting ready to do a summary...

A weekend of ups and downs. Saturday went well. I got a 7th out of 14 in Open SS, and 9th out of 11 in Formula Ultra. Lap times in both were in the high 1:31 to mid 1:32 range, so pretty good. Not personal best pace, but within a second or two. Felt pretty good.

Sunday didn't go so well. I crashed on lap 2 or 3 of the Formula Ultra race. It was a pretty gnarly crash...going down the hill into T3, right after cresting the hill. I think I was going about 120mph or so when I wiped out. The bike and I slid 300+ feet, me ending up in the infield of T3 after taking out the corner worker and her station (she was OK), and the bike ending up on the outside of the T3 tip-in point. No video unfortunately, as my fancy new camera was launched somewhere in the weeds, never to be seen again. Ugh.

I'm still not positive why it happened. Best guess is I was unknowingly carrying a small wheelie when I crested the rise. I must have tapped the brake as I changed body position for T3, stopping the front wheel in the air. The wheel may have caused a jolt when it touched down since it was stopped, upsetting everything, and making me inadvertently grab more front brake and wash out the front. Really weird (and dumb on my part). I initially thought someone hit me from behind because it was all so fast, but nope. I was down before I knew anything was wrong though. I changed to EBC GPFAX pads this season (better in the wet), but I'm going back to the SBS Dual Carbon pads. The initial bite on the EBC's may just be too much for me.

I'm OK overall...beat up and sore. Suit has been sent back for repairs. Probably need new gloves, although they did fantastic and didn't blow out any seams or anything, but they're worn. Boots look a little rough, but they're still good to go...will need new outers for next season. Forcefield armor is the best IMO. I don't have any bruising, although I'm pretty sure I'd have a couple broken ribs if I hadn't been wearing the chest protector by the way I feel.

Photos:

The black bulb at the end of the skid is where I went down. I stopped sliding past the blue canopy a little ways. You can see where the bike hit the berm just before the tire wall and ricocheted back across the track. Google Earth puts my slide distance around 300+ feet (probably 1/2 grass, 1/2 pavement). Sliding that far is overrated...I hope to never do it again.

Left side of the bike is pretty beat up. Right side is pristine still. Amazing. Re-build starts this weekend hopefully. It's going to be $$, so we'll see how long it takes. My biggest worry is something is tweaked up front...hoping it is the triples and not the forks.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 04-29-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    2014 Moto Guzzi Griso SE
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race)
    WMRRA #98
    Race Support: Moto International - Dunlop - Canright Const. - KFG Racing - Speeddealer Motors - Motobits Rearsets
    Race Website:
    http://illudiumq36racing.weebly.com/

Dang! First, very glad you're OK. No doubt about the suit and protective gear doing its job.

Really unfortunate about the bike (and camera). Hopefully no fork or frame damage. WASCO, aka Richard Washer, is one of the best frame guys if it needs straightening or attention.

Were you wearing the Leatt neck brace? I picked one up....seemed like a good idea.

1979 Darmah 900 SSD
    Bellevue, WA

Just having fun.

Double damn, so glad you are relatively ok and not seriously hurt. Imagine hitting that tree instead?!?!?!?

I bet you covered the 300 feet faster than Olympic gold winner Bolt!

The view of bike doesn't really show the violent nature of the impact. I have never seen rearsets so flattened. Spool mount ripped off swingarm, frame dented, etc, etc, etc...........

On the other hand, that Johnson guy is pretty tough. Slid 300' plus, flew right through the corner workers popup, destroyed the chair Mel was sitting on, emptied 2, 5 gallon pails of water anchoring the popup (left popup standing) and rode back to the pits in the crash truck with his bike.

Note that the red dog survived.

Last edited by gregc; 04-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    moderation in moderation
    ............................you're dead a long time
    never go to a gunfight without a gun and never pull a gun in a snowball fight.
    Hayduke Lives!
    WMrrA # 888
    06 749s track (serious stealth weapon, sold to a fast guy)
    03 R6 track (sprint)
    04 R6 track (endurance, trackday ride)
    07 KTM 560 SMR track (off season conditioning machine)
    04 KTM 200 EXC (just for fun)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information